Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Gracious Host


This past week, I had the privilege of attending a dinner party hosted by a friend.  It is always a treat to go into her home, but I was especially excited to see it all dolled up for Christmas. It is such a treat (and an inspiration) to see how people decorate for the holidays.

As I looked around this home, I noticed how similar it is to its owner/designer. Much like the owner, her home is beautiful and elegant, inside and out.  It is worthy of a spread in Veranda, and yet it never feels stuffy or over-the-top.

My favorite room is the living room (below), with its crisp white and neutral palette. I love the tall antique mirrors on either side of the window, as well as the combination of French, Italian, and English pieces.

She was generous enough to let me snap some photos on my way out the door, with no warning and no time to tidy up the lingering evidence of a wonderful dinner party -  chairs askew, place mats amiss.  Indeed, she was a gracious host to the very end!  A big thanks to her for allowing me to photograph her home.

Enjoy the photos and be inspired!

I love the way she decorated the chandelier with glass ornaments and strands of beads.
                                         
The red amaryllis is so elegant on the white marble coffee table.
                               
                               
The contemporary painting over fireplace is perfectly unexpected.
                                 
                      
"Angels we have heard on high, sweetly singing o'er the plains..."
"See Him in a manger laid, Whom the choirs of angels praise.."
                                       
The breakfast nook decorated by an advent calender, original art by her three children, and the chandelier with home made paper garlands reminds me that this house is indeed a home---one filled with love and joy!

                                         
Gloooooooria, in excelsis Deeoo!