Sunday, February 20, 2011

Big City Comes to Town

Last week I had the pleasure of visiting the home of Ashley and Bonner Gaylord. I had never met Ashley, but we share a mutual friend who insisted that I must see her home and feature it on the blog.  And while I am usually hesitant to make introductions like this on my own, I ultimately took the plunge and made the phone call essentially inviting myself to take a peak around.  She graciously accepted my self-invitation, and the rest was love at first sight.  

I pulled up in the driveway and took in the traditional architecture.  Elegant.  Classic.  Ok.  I get it, I thought.  And then I stepped inside.  To say I was awestruck is an understatement.  To say I fell in love, maybe closer to true.  It was like walking through Palm Beach, New York and LA all at once. And it ALL FLOWED beautifully!  Both husband and wife worked together to decorate this unique masterpiece, and their individual marks on the home make the perfect statement.  In a society where everyone is striving a house 'just like that one', it was truly a gift to see a home so loved and adorned by its owners that it told a story all its own.  And it was beautiful story.  It is a house that is decorated from within.  Exactly the way a home should be.  

I am so inspired, and I hope you are too!
The foyer sets the stage for a home filled with a unique twist of contemporary & traditional pieces mixed with splashes of bright colors.

The white and black walls in the foyer are hand painted by local artist Raines Thompson.  To the right is the office which is also photographed below.


 The husband's office is filled with objects of his desire. I love the surf boards and deer head. 

One of my favorite things in the house is the unique bookshelves designed by Bonner Gaylord.

I love the simplicity of the bold orange round mirror hanging over the Chinese hall table.

The living room off the foyer is a combination of Palm Beach and New York City. The chandelier and lucite coffee table are perfect pieces for this room. Notice the mirrored wall with fretwork mimicking bookshelves in office across hall.
This butlers pantry off the living room showcases another hand painted wall by the talented, Raines Thompson.


Fresh fruit and a contemporary painting sit on the kitchen counter.

The kitchen is simply divine with the clean crisp white cabinets and white marble counter tops. 

Ashley and Bonner have a gift of combining contemporary and traditional pieces. The painting and light hanging over the robins egg blue dining table and chairs is picture perfect.


The family room off the kitchen holds a sectional sofa with clean lines. To the right are 4 floral panels Ashley made herself from sheets found at a flea market!

The galley kitchen with all its white, is a great back drop for masterpieces by their 3 yr old daughter, Gigi. 



I love the master colors! You can never go wrong with a white tufted headboard and white gourd lamps.

The master bath follows the flow of the house...clean lines and bold accent colors.
At the top of the stairs, a tricycle parked in the corner is a great reminder that this is not only a house, but a home! 
Gigi's shoes!